Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Where is my LOLLIPOP?

So when did they stop giving out lollipops for getting shots?

So today I went down to get my Travel Consultation at the doctors. For those of you that really know me, know that this is HUGE! I hate shots :-)
So I got Yellow Fever - well I didn't get the fever, I got the vaccine against it. So this is what the doctor says to me:
Dr: The side effects of the Yellow Fever Vaccine can be, Death or Sever Organ Failure.
Me: Now, Doc, is that something you really want to say to someone who already is having a panic attack about the shot?
So then she went on to talk about the other precautions. Typhoid - okay fine I'll take that. It's an oral form though - so 4 pills, 1 every other day - I'll start on Saturday - side effects can be sever abdominal cramping - GREAT! Malaria pills - got the prescription and will turn that in to the pharmacy tomorrow. I start that the day before we leave, then every day there and 7 days after we return - got a total of 18 of them, that should be enough. At $7 a pill, I know that doesn't sound bad - but that's $126 for all 18 pills. On top of the $225 for the Yellow Fever. crazy - especially since our insurance doesn't cover you on these things. They don't view travel outside the US necessary :-) LOL - got to love it.
So I was good during the shot, I laid down, he told me he was going to pinch my skin, I'd feel a slight poke (ouch) and a burn (argh) and it was over. All while this was happening I was digging my nails on my right hand into my palm - a bit of a distraction - but it seemed to work.
They wanted me to do the Hep A&B combo - but do you people really see me eating while there? I'll think about it......... but I'm thinking Granola Bars & Trail Mix - Bottle Water - I'm good to go.
So seriously when did they stop giving you a lollipop when you get your shot?
After the technician gave it, he said "we'd like you to stay for 15 minutes to make sure that you are OK, and have no side effects!"
Me: so after 15 minutes if I don't die or have complete organ failure - you think I'm in the clear :-) LOL
these people have a twisted idea of OK :-) hehehehe

Okay so that's my update!
I think we are getting closer. Today we scanned a copy of our I171H and sent it to the wonderful Romana and she is going to take it to the Embassy next week to get Part I of the Visa Application, then she'll turn that in, and get Part II -(medical) she'll do that for us, and then we wait for our invitation to come for the Visa Interview :-) I'm so excited I think this is the first time, I've actually been able to see that light at the end of the tunnel.

Cheers & Love

Julz, Scott, Brody & pugs :-)

5 comments:

Bingaling said...

Julz,
I remember my yellow fever shot well! When I got it (6 years ago) I got 4 shots in one day...the yellow fever was the worst one! Make sure you move your arm alot, even if it hurts. My arm got really stiff and sore for a couple of days afterward. So...keep moving it around so it doesn't get stiff!

When I was in Tanzania, I took the malaria pill that you take once a week...our whole group took the pills on Monday morning. And Monday nights were usually our most sleepless nights - lots of us had really crazy dreams!

Hope you are feeling ok! Total bummer about the lollipops. I didn't get one either. I guess since you're an adult they expect you to bring your own!

Hope you travel soon to bring that little boy home!
Chanda

Anonymous said...

Ah, I remember those shots well! The typhoid pills may make you feel like you have a low grade flu - not bad, just annoying.

PLEASE take the Hep A shot though - it's very, very easy to get Hep A when traveling abroad. Kids bounce right back from it, but it can take adults quite a while. Our friend contracted Hep A while abroad adopting and spent two weeks in the hospital (away from her new son) once home. Not good.

Good Luck!
Jennifer (A lurker whose hoping for good news for you very soon!)

Anonymous said...

Hey ..you went to the wrong place.. Rachel gets chocolate covered coconut bars after her allergy shots...
we are getting there!

Anonymous said...

Monica (forgot to post my name)

Anonymous said...

Memory sure is becoming cheaper and cheaper and cheaper. I'm curious as to when we will finally hit the ratio of 1c to 1 GB.

I can't wait for the day when I will finally be able to afford a 20 terabyte hard drive, hahaha. But for now I will be satisfied with having a 16 GB Micro SD Card in my R4i.

(Posted from NetSurf for R4i Nintendo DS.)