Thursday, May 24, 2007

Wish I had better luck with the USCIS

I think that title says it all :-)

So I meet with USCIS on Wednesday, and it was NOT GOOD!

So for the last 5 weeks I have been trying to contact them - I sent them the birth certificate via email, fax & US Mail. However there was no reply from them, that they needed anything else.
So (lots of so's here ) I go there - I wait patiently, and then get told that I can't go upstairs. I didn't argue - but I was FIRM that I needed to see them. So they asked me to sit again, and I did. I waited (probably tapping my foot). Then they called me up again, and provided me with the "pass" to go upstairs. I smiled and thanked them.
I go upstairs, and wait there - but thankfully not for too long. The Orphan Officer came out, and invited me to her office - ohhhhhh never been there before.
I sit, she has my file on her desk. She let's me know she hasn't looked at it. WHAT THE????? 5 weeks and you haven't looked at it? What the heck?
She did have ALL the b/c's that I had sent - funny how she couldn't have responded before that she had them and if we needed anything else.
She gave me back the original Adoption Decree - thank goodness - I really wanted that back.
THEN......
We can't complete your request at this time. We need more information and originals.
So they wrote up the list of the things they need - and then on the same letter it states - you have 87 days to provide these things, or your file will be rejected.
WHAT????? Rejected - because you just sat on my file for 5 weeks (35 days) so I could have had 122 days - but NOOOOOO they are too busy............
So what do they need?
Original Death Decree of Brody's father - okay education time. Getting a death decree in Ghana can be very difficult if not impossible. Someone needs to go out to the village where his mother lives, have her go with them to the courts to get the decree done. that could take days, if she's even at the same address that Osu had for her.
Letter from the social worker - stating that his mother can not provide for him according to Ghana Standards.
Letter from the mother that she understands that he's being adopted (which we have) but also that he is going to the US.

FREAK OUT -
So what did we do next? Everything we could.
I emailed the wonderful Romana - told her what we needed, and asked if she could help. I emailed the attorney that processed our adoption to see if he would be of any help. We emailed our senator again, who replied that because it is a federal thing - that Congress would have to take it - they will be forwarding the request over to our Congress rep. Good grief.
Scott emailed the former Ambassador to Ghana - whom he served under. We hope to hear from him.
Today Romana was able to reach the Social Worker that did our case. He will be able to help with the documents. But we had to provide her with a letter and the suit case. So I gave that to her, and then I wrote a letter signed it, and scanned it.
Romana also found someone that can go out to the area Brody's mother lives and will work on getting the Death Decree for Fredrick (father).

Yesterday I felt that it was the end - i felt defeat.
Today I feel hope. I feel that we have so many wonderful people supporting us and doing everything they can to get Brody home with us to his family.

I first want to publicly thank Romana. Romana - you have become our Guardian Angel. Brody has done so well in your care, and I really think he is becoming a little more comfortable, not as shy. You gave me a gift that nobody could possibly imagine what it was worth. Talking & seeing my Brody was the most amazing thing. Thank you. Thank you for stepping up once again and helping us.

Today we mailed a package to Kelly who is leaving on Saturday to go stay in Ghana with her two beautiful twins that she is adopting. Kelly is courageous for her trip - she is planning on being there for 6 months. You go Kelly. Kelly is bringing Brody's passport and birth certificate over to Romana. Yes you heard me right - we are sending it back. LOL. Romana is going to start on all the visa requirements for us, like the medical, etc, so she needs those. I also sent over the visa application - the DS230.

Please send good thoughts to Ghana with everyone there and going soon.

Anita is still there -she has been trying so hard to get Bright's visa this week, but today she found out that they won't for about 2 more weeks. She's suppose to only be there for another week, so she's trying to decide on staying - or coming home, but then she doesn't think she'll be able to fly back so soon to get Bright. Please send good thoughts her way.

Well that's about it - I will keep everyone very up to date on our progress.

Julz, Scott & Brody

No comments: